Rogersville home gutted by fire that started on couch

Jeff Bobo • Jan 9, 2018 at 9:15 PM
ROGERSVILLE — Fire gutted a house Tuesday afternoon while the lone resident was away visiting her neighbor.

Around 12:45 p.m., the Rogersville Fire Department responded to a house fire at 607 Hasson St., just south of the Highway 11-W intersection.

RFD Chief David Jackson said the fire apparently started in a living room couch.

“As to why it started on the couch, I don’t know,” Jackson told the Times News at the scene. “I don’t believe it was electrical. It’s still under investigation.

“It burned up a closet and got into the attic.”

The exterior of the residence didn’t appear to be damaged at all, but Jackson said the interior was an approximate loss of 75 percent.

“It’s got a tin roof, and it held the heat down,” Jackson noted. “Structurally I believe it’s OK, but like I said, it’s 75 percent loss on the inside. There a few rooms that weren’t damaged.”

The house was a rental and is not habitable due to the damage. The Red Cross was notified to assist the resident if needed.

Volunteer firefighters from Lakeview and Striggersville assisted at the scene.

Kingsport Times News Videos