logo



Lynn Garden house fire was accidental

Matthew Lane • Jan 18, 2018 at 5:45 PM

KINGSPORT — The Kingsport Fire Department believes that a Monday afternoon house fire in Lynn Garden was accidental and says that the fire’s origin was located near a heater within the home.

The KFD responded to a fully engulfed residence at 1056 Lynn Garden Drive around 3:20 p.m. Five young adults, who were renting the house, all managed to get out of the burning structure safely.

A video of the fire was posted on social media with some people questioning the response time of the KFD, especially given that a fire station is located less than a mile up the road.

According to a press release from the KFD, units arrived on the scene two minutes and eight seconds after receiving the call.

The fire is under investigation by the Kingsport Fire Marshal’s Office, and a preliminary determination is that the fire was accidental in nature, the release states.

The fire began in an area of the home near a heater. Two nearby aerosol cans and a five-gallon can of gasoline on the front porch are thought to have contributed to the accelerated progress of the fire, the release states.

“Modern furnishing in homes hit flashover eight times faster than in homes with older furnishings from decades ago,” said Kingsport Fire Marshal Robert Sluss. “Underwriters Laboratory has determined through live fire testing that fires today are more dangerous and pose more risks than in the past.”

 

Public Education Officer Barry Brickey encourages families to follow these safety tips:

· Have working smoke alarms.

· Create a home escape plan for your family.

· Call 911 as quickly as possible.

· Keep anything that can burn at least three feet away from heating equipment, such as the furnace, fireplace, wood stove, or portable space heater.

· Have heating equipment and chimneys cleaned and inspected every year by a qualified professional.

· Remember to turn portable heaters off when leaving the room or going to bed.

· Make sure the fireplace has a sturdy screen to stop sparks from flying into the room. Ashes should be cool before putting them in a metal container. Keep the container a safe distance away from your home.

· Test smoke alarms at least once a month.

· Replace any smoke alarm that is more than 10 years old with new dual-sensor smoke alarms.

Kingsport Times News Videos