Friday , June 01, 2018 - 4:22 PM3 comments
OGDEN — A judge sentenced a 38-year-old Murray man to three terms of 15 years to life in prison on charges stemming from cases in which two preteen boys were wooed on social media, kidnapped and sexually assaulted.
Weston Ray Kubbe, 38, of Murray, was sentenced Friday by 2nd District Court Judge Michael DiReda on eight charges spanning three cases arising from incidents in late 2016. Eight other charges were dropped as part of a plea bargain.
“Good riddance,” one boy’s father said to Kubbe as bailiffs led him away.
The most serious charges were three counts of aggravated sexual assault of a child, each drawing a sentence of 15 years to life in prison. He also was sentenced on counts of kidnapping, attempted child kidnapping, firearms violation, and exposing a minor to controlled substances.
Kubbe’s attorney said the sentences could draw Kubbe 36 to 54 years in prison, according to Utah Board of Pardons and Parole guidelines.
One Weber County case was the abduction of an 11-year-old boy from his South Ogden home on Oct. 10, 2016, which resulted in an Amber Alert. In an August 2016 incident, Kubbe was arrested after police said he picked up a 12-year-old boy at a Weber County park.
A state judge in West Jordan last week sentenced Kubbe in three other cases, including charges of unlawful sexual contact with minors and sexual assault.
DiReda told Kubbe he has inflicted “emotional devastation” on the victims and their families.
“This case is completely off the charts, considering what the people will be dealing with,” the judge said.
Weber County Deputy Attorney Christopher Shaw said Kubbe may have seemed non-threatening to the boys because he presented himself well and was articulate and educated.
“But I see another side,” Shaw said. “He is cunning, manipulative, and he is just dangerous.”
“I was raped and forced to do things that I did not want to do,” one of the boys said in a letter to the court, read aloud by a victim’s advocate.
The boy’s mother also wrote a letter, saying she was terrified when her son went missing and she later learned he had been “tortured, alone and in pain” before police found him hiding behind a dumpster in Salt Lake City.
She said her son since has been teased at school and she knows his life will never be the same.
“As a mom, I will probably never get over this,” she said, adding that she suffers from feelings of guilt that she was unable to protect her son.
She said trusting people is harder now.
“I went from hating no one to hating someone more than I can imagine.”
The other boy’s statement said Kubbe was “a controlling person” who “hurt me and destroyed my life.”
The boy said Kubbe relentlessly pursued him on social media and by cellphone. He said that when he was taken, Kubbe had a handgun in his car’s center console.
Statements read in court by the fathers of the two boys pulsed with anger and frustration.
The father of the boy taken from South Ogden said his son was suicidal for a time after the crimes. The man said he was sickened when police told him “this pedophile said he wanted to marry my son when he turns 18.”
He urged DiReda to impose maximum sentences “to protect the community from this evil.”
The father further discounted Kubbe’s apologies, saying, “Everybody’s sorry when they get caught.”
The other boy’s father’s comments were aimed directly at Kubbe.
“You’re an internet pedophile, a predator and pervert of the worst kind,” he told the defendant. “In prison I hope you feel alone and scared like my son did.”
“I’ve ruined my life, I’ve ruined my family’s lives and I've ruined the lives of these boys,” Kubbe said in a tearful statement to DiReda.
He apologized to the victims and said he hoped they would forgive him someday.
“I let drugs and alcohol control me,” he said.
His attorney, Loni DeLand, said Kubbe was sexually abused as a child and bullied in school.
“That evolved into what we have here today,” DeLand said.
The attorney said Kubbe came to consider the boys as a type of peer group, but “he has realized that was perverse thinking.”
Offenders who were sexually abused as children are more likely to succeed in counseling and therapy, said DeLand, urging DiReda to consider those mitigating factors and impose sentences of 10 years to life rather than 15, and order that more of the sentences be served concurrently rather than consecutively.
Sign up for e-mail news updates.